Notice Regarding Complaint Procedures
“If Farmers Mutual Co-Op Telephone Company does not resolve your complaint, the service may be subject to state regulation. You may contact Iowa Utilities Board, 350 Maple Street, Des Moines, Iowa 50319-0069. 877-565-4450 Toll Free or 515-281-3839.” E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Customer's Right To Own and Provide Their Own Telephones, Other Terminal Equipmment and Wiring
A customer has the right to provide and own telephones, other terminal equipment and new inside station wiring.
A customer is not required to buy or lease telephones or other terminal equipment from the telephone utility in order to receive service.
A customer is not required to use the services of the telephone utility for the installation of new inside station wiring. Upon request, the telephone utility will provide technical information for new inside station wiring.
When a customer chooses to provide inside station wiring, the inside station wiring must comply with applicable national, state or local building and electrical codes; National Electrical Code, NFPA No. 70-1978 (Article 800, Communications Circuits); and accepted good engineering practices in the communication industry to assure, as far as possible, continuity of service, uniformity in the quality of service furnished, and safety of persons and property.
Statement Of Nondiscrimination
Farmers Mutual Cooperative Telephone Company, Inc. (Moulton, IA) is the recipient of Federal financial assistance from the Rural Utilities Service (RUS), an agency of the U.S. Department of Agriculture and is subject to the provisions of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, and the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, as amended. In accordance with Federal law and the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, and marital or family status (not all prohibited bases apply to all programs).
The person responsible for coordinating this organization’s nondiscrimination compliance efforts is Tammy Wheeler, General Manager. An individual, or specific class of individuals, who feels that this organization has subjected them to discrimination may obtain further information about the statutes and regulations listed above and/or file a written complaint with this organization; or the Administrator, Rural Utilities Service, Stop 1510, 14000 Independence Avenue SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-1510; or the Director, Office of Civil Rights, Room 326-W, Whitten Building, 14th and Independence Avenue SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (202) 720-5964 (voice or TDD). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer. Complaints must be filed within 180 days after the alleged discrimination. Confidentiality will be maintained to the extent possible.
Lifeline / Link-Up Telephone Assistance Program
Low-income telephone assistance is available to qualifying low-income Iowans as part of two federal support programs. These programs, “Lifeline Assistance” and “Link-Up,” are available through Farmers Mutual Cooperative Telephone Company.
“Lifeline” is a plan that assists qualified low-income Iowans by providing a monthly credit on their telephone bill $8.25. “Link-Up” is an assistance plan that helps qualified low-income Iowans pay for the installation of basic telephone service by reducing connection charges by 50 percent, or $30, whichever is less.
Another feature of the Lifeline program enables qualified applicants to avoid paying a service deposit if they voluntarily agree to have long distance calling blocked from their telephone.
Iowans whose income is at or below 135 percent of the Federal Poverty Guidelines are eligible for telephone assistance. Additionally, Iowans who participate in one or more of the following programs are eligible for telephone assistance:
Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Federal Public Housing Assistance
Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
Temporary Assistance to Needy Families Program (TANF)
National School Lunch Program (NSL)
To apply for either or both of these low-income telephone assistance plans, applicants should submit an application to Farmers Mutual Cooperative Telephone Company. Application forms can be obtained from their office at 101 North Main Street in Moulton, IA or at the Department of Human Services, Area Agency on Aging, and the Community Action Program offices of the Department of Human Rights. This application is also available on the Iowa Utilities Board website at www.state.ia.us/iub.
Relay Iowa, a program of the Iowa Utilities Board, serves hearing, deaf, hard of hearing and speech-impaired Iowans, by providing access to convenient and reliable services that enable all persons to communicate by telephone.
How Do I Connect To The Relay?
Dial 7-1-1 from any phone in Iowa or the appropriate toll free numbers below to connect to the Relay Iowa. Give the Communication Assistant (CA) the area code and number you want to call. During a relay call, the CA will voice everything typed by the TTY user and type everything said by the telephone user. Calls handled by Relay Iowa are strictly confidential.
Are There Any Charges To Access The Relay?
There are no charges to access the relay. You can make calls inside or outside of Iowa. However, standard long distance charges do apply, so check with your long distance provider for rate information. If you do not chose a long distance company, you will be billed by AT&T. To discover more about long distance carriers available through Relay Iowa, contact Relay Iowa Customer Service.
How Do i Apply For Specialized Telephone Equipment?
The Iowa Equipment Distribution Program called Telecommunication Access Iowa (TAI) helps pay for specialized equipment for Iowa residents who are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired. Qualified individuals can receive a coucher for approximately 95% of the average cost of specialized telephone equipment. To apply online, go to www.relay iowa.com/tai/ or call (800) 606-5099 V/TTY.
Dial 7-1-1 OR TTY: (800) 735-2942
Voice: (800) 735-2943
Speech to Speech: (877) 735-1007
Voice Carry Over (VCO): (800) 264-7190*
*Spanish to English translation available
Customer Proprietary Network Information
Customer Proprietary Network
Under Federal Law, you have the right to, and we have the duty to protect the confidentiality of your telecommunications service information. This information includes the type, technical arrangement, quantity, destination, and amount of use of telecommunications services and related billing for these services.
We may use this information, without further authorization by you, to offer you services of the type you already purchase from us and the full range of products and services available from Farmers Mutual Cooperative Telephone Company and our affiliates that may be different from the type of services you currently buy from us. In addition to local telephone services, Farmers Mutual Cooperative Telephone Company services include long distance, internet services, and video services. Use of your information as described in this notice will permit us to offer you a package of services tailored to your specific needs. Without further authorization by you, we may also share your information with Farmers Mutual Cooperative Telephone Company affiliates with whom you may already have an existing service relationship.
No action by you is necessary to permit us to use your information as described in this notice. If you wish to restrict Farmers Mutual Cooperative Telephone Company or affiliate use of your information to offer services different from the type of services you currently purchase from us, please register your request by calling us at (641) 642-3249 within 30 days of receipt of this notice. You may change your decision at any time and your decision will remain valid until you tell us otherwise. Your decision will not affect our provision of service to you. If you have any questions, please call our office at the telephone number listed in this paragraph.
Terms of Service
STANDARD AGREEMENT FOR LOCAL EXCHANGE SERVICE
FARMERS MUTUAL COOPERATIVE TELEPHONE COMPANY OF MOULTON, IA
1. SERVICE AGREEMENT. This standard agreement (this “Agreement”) governs your service relationship with Farmers Mutual Cooperative Telephone Company (together with any subsidiaries or affiliates providing your service or related facilities, “we,” “us,” or the “Company”) for regulated local exchange services and facilities (“Service”). Previously, the Company provided Service pursuant to a Local Services Tariff filed with and approved by the Iowa Utilities Board. As a result of recent changes to applicable law and regulations, the Company no longer files or maintains a Local Services Tariff. Instead, we now provide Service pursuant this Agreement, including the additional Terms of Service incorporated herein by reference.
2. ACCEPTANCE. Your acceptance of this Agreement occurs upon any of the following: (a) you provide a written or electronic signature expressly accepting this Agreement; (b) you orally or electronically order and/or activate Service; or (c) you use Service, following notification that this Agreement will apply to your ongoing use of such Service.
3. ADDITIONAL TERMS OF SERVICE. We provide Service pursuant to a certificate of public convenience and necessity issued by the Iowa Utilities Board. We provide Service subject to our “Services Catalog”, including: (a) this Agreement (b) our Rules and Regulations for Local Exchange Service, which are incorporated herein by reference; (c) our applicable Service Guides and Rate Schedules, which are incorporated herein by reference and (d) applicable rules and regulations of the Iowa Utilities Board. Current versions of our Rules and Regulations, Service Guides and Rate Schedules are available in electronic form on our website at www.farmersmutualcoop.com. Current versions of these documents are also available at our business office(s) and will be provided or made available to you upon request. Our Rules and Regulations, Service Guides and Rate Schedules contain the specific prices and charges, service descriptions and other terms and conditions not set forth herein which apply to Service. This Agreement incorporates by reference the prices, charges terms and conditions included in our other Services Catalog.
4. RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES. This Agreement is our standard service agreement. Under this Agreement, we agree to provide and bill for Service, and you agree to use and pay for Service, as provided herein and in our other applicable Terms of Service. Our rights and responsibilities, and your rights and responsibilities, are as set forth in this Agreement and our other applicable Terms of Service.
5. TERM. This Agreement shall commence on the date of your acceptance and shall continue month-to-month (or, in some cases for an established minimum term) as provided in our applicable Terms of Service. Either party may terminate this Agreement or any Service in accordance with our applicable Terms of Service. Termination of this Agreement or any Service shall not waive or release your obligation to pay for Service provided prior to such termination as well as any other applicable fees and charges, as provided in our Terms of Service.
6. RATES; PAYMENT. Nonrecurring and recurring charges for Service are as set forth in our applicable Terms of Service. Except as otherwise noted, Service pricing is exclusive of applicable local, state and federal taxes and regulatory fees, assessments and surcharges. All Service charges, along with applicable local, state and federal taxes and regulatory fees, assessments and surcharges, will be itemized on your invoice. Failure to pay invoices when due may result in late payment penalties or suspension or disconnection of Service as provided in our applicable Terms of Service.
7. CHANGES TO TERMS. We reserve the right to change our Terms of Service (including rates or any other terms and conditions of Service) upon written notice to you. The notice may be provided on your monthly bill, as a bill insert, by email, on our website, or by other written communication or other form of notice permitted or required by applicable laws and regulations. If you elect not to cancel your Service and continue to use Service after the communicated effective date of any such changes, your continued use of Service will constitute acceptance of the modified Terms of Service.
8. CHANGES TO SERVICE. We may, from time to time, modify the Service to reflect improvements and other changes and modifications to our network. In addition, we reserve the right to discontinue or limit Service as required to comply with or satisfy our obligations under applicable laws or regulations, including when changes to or interpretations of such laws and regulations have a material, adverse effect on the business, technical or economic feasibility of providing Service, as determined by us in our reasonable judgment.
9. ACCESS TO SERVICE PREMISES. We may enter into, upon and over your Service premises periodically during the term of this Agreement to install, connect, inspect, maintain, repair, alter, disconnect and remove our facilities and equipment used to provide Service. To the extent the same is consistent with your ownership of the premises, you grant the Company a temporary and permanent easement to construct, install, maintain, and/or replace Service facilities and to install, connect, inspect, maintain, repair, alter, disconnect and remove all facilities and equipment necessary to provide Service. In the event you are not the owner of the premises upon which installation is requested, you warrant to the Company that you have obtained the consent of the owner of the premises for the Company to install and maintain its facilities and equipment as contemplated herein.
10. CREDIT CHECK; DEPOSITS. In connection with your request or application for any Service, we may conduct an investigation into your creditworthiness, including obtaining one or more reports or ratings from one or more independent credit reporting or credit scoring agencies. We may require a deposit for you to establish or maintain Service. The deposit amount, the length of time we hold the deposit and changes to the deposit amount are determined based on your credit and payment history, our Terms of Service and any applicable laws or regulations. If Service is canceled or disconnected for any reason, we may, subject to our Terms of Service and applicable law and regulations, apply your deposit toward payment of outstanding charges.
11. SERVICE ACCOUNTS. Service accounts are assigned to customers only, and the customer in whose name the account is established will be treated as the account owner for all purposes. Account owners may designate one or more “authorized users” who will have access to account information and may make certain account changes in accordance with our policies and applicable laws and regulations. As the owner of the account, you are responsible for designating (or changing the designation) of any authorized users. You will hold the Company harmless from any claims arising from account instructions given or inquiries made by you or any authorized user. You are responsible for keeping all account and billing data with the Company up-to-date and accurate. Furnishing false data to the Company is grounds for immediate disconnection of Service and may subject you to civil or criminal liability.
12. FEDERAL LIFELINE PROGRAM. The Company is an eligible telecommunications carrier (ETC) within all or portions of its service area, meaning that it provides certain services supported by the federal Universal Service Fund, including the federal “Lifeline” program for qualifying low-income consumers. Single line, local residential service is a Lifeline-eligible service. Lifeline is a government benefit program which provides a monthly credit toward a qualified low-income subscriber’s telephone bill. Only eligible low-income consumers may enroll in the Lifeline program. Consumers who meet eligibility criteria must also complete documentation necessary for enrollment. Lifeline assistance is non-transferable, and eligible subscribers may receive assistance from only one wireline or wireless telecommunications provider per household. If you believe you may qualify for the Lifeline program, please visit our website at www.farmersmutualcoop.com or contact us to discuss program details, eligibility requirements or to request a Lifeline application. Consumers who willfully make false statements in order to obtain the benefit can be punished by fine or imprisonment or can be barred from the program. To report Lifeline fraud, you may contact the Federal Communications Commission Lifeline Fraud Tip Line: 1-855-4LL-TIPS (or 1-855-455-8477) or Lifeline@fcc.gov.
13. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES. EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE EXPRESSLY PROVIDED IN OUR TERMS OF SERVICE, WE MAKE NO WARRANTIES WITH RESPECT TO ANY SERVICE OR FACILITIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY WARRANTIES CONCERNING THE SPECIFIC FUNCTION OF ANY SERVICE OR FACILITIES, OR THEIR RELIABILITY, AVAILABILITY, OR ABILITY TO MEET YOUR SPECIFIC NEEDS. TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, WE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF SATISFACTORY QUALITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
14. LIMITATION ON REMEDIES. In addition to any other limitation on remedies or limitations of liability set forth in our Terms of Service or in applicable law or regulations, the Company shall not be liable for any delay or failure to provide Service at any time or from time to time, or any interruption or degradation of Service quality that is caused by any of the following: (a) an act or omission of an underlying carrier, service provider, vendor or other third party; (b) equipment, network or facility failure, including failure caused by the loss of power; (c) equipment, network or facility upgrade or modification; (d) force majeure events such as (but not limited to) acts of God, acts of nature, strikes, fire, war, riot, acts of terrorism and government actions; (e) equipment or facility shortage; (f) equipment or facility relocation; (g) any act or omission by you or any person using your Service; (h) theft, fraud or abuse of Service; or (i) any other cause that is beyond the Company’s reasonable control. THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, OUR TOTAL LIABILITY FOR ANY CLAIM UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, INCLUDING FOR ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, IS LIMITED TO THE AMOUNT YOU PAID US FOR THE AFFECTED SERVICE OR FACILITIES, WHETHER SUCH CLAIM OR REMEDY IS SOUGHT IN CONTRACT OR TORT, INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY OR OTHERWISE. TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, WE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, SPECIAL OR TREBLED OR ENHANCED DAMAGES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOST PROFITS, LOST BUSINESS, OR OTHER COMMERCIAL OR ECONOMIC LOSS, WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARE CLAIMED FOR BREACH OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE AND WHETHER OR NOT WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
15. INDEMNIFICATION. You agree to indemnify the Company and our affiliates, officers, agents and employees from any liability or expense arising from claims, losses, damages, suits, judgments, litigation costs and attorneys’ fees arising from or related to your abuse or misuse of Service, or any other violation of this Agreement or our other Terms of Service.
16. ADDITIONAL SERVICES. Our telecommunications and communications services are diverse, and not all services we provide are regulated services. This Agreement and the other Terms of Service identified herein apply only to local exchange services regulated by the Iowa Utilities Board. The Company may also offer or provide other products and services, including unregulated telecommunications or communications services. Unless otherwise specified, such products and services are not covered by this Agreement or our other Terms of Service referenced herein, but may be subject to other service contracts or terms and conditions of service provided or made available to customers in connection with those products and services.
17. GOVERNING LAW. This Agreement, and our contractual and service relationship with you, shall be deemed to have been made in and shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the substantive laws of the State of Iowa, without regard to the principles of conflicts of law.
18. INCORPORATION AND INTEGRATION. Our Terms of Service are incorporated into this Agreement. This Agreement, along with our other Terms of Service, constitute the entire agreement between the parties concerning our contractual service relationship, there being no prior written or oral promises or representations not incorporated herein or therein.
19. NO IMPLIED WAIVER. Our failure to exercise or enforce any provision of or rights under this Agreement or our other Terms of Service shall not constitute a waiver of any such provision or right.
20. SEVERABILITY. If any part or provision of this Agreement or our other Terms of Service is held, in whole or in part, to be invalid, illegal, or unenforceable by any law or regulation of any governmental or regulatory authority, or by the final determination of any court of competent jurisdiction, that part or provision will be construed consistent with applicable law or regulation as nearly as possible, and the remaining parts and provisions will remain in full force and effect. Such invalidity or non-enforceability will not invalidate or render unenforceable any other part or provision of this Agreement or our other Terms of Service.
21. ASSIGNMENT; BINDING EFFECT. This Agreement shall inure to the benefit of and be binding upon the parties hereto and their respective successors and assigns; provided, however, you may not assign or transfer your rights or obligations under this Agreement without our express written consent. Unless consent is granted, all accounts must be closed and reopened under the name of a new customer for issuance of a new account number.
Click here to download the Service Agreement.